The Toronto Public Library has a network of over 100 branches across the entire city. With a Toronto Library Card, you can borrow materials, access databases, reserve computer time, and even enjoy some additional perks!
Read ahead to learn more about getting your Toronto Library Card.
How to get a Toronto Library Card in 5 easy steps!
1. How to get a Toronto Library Card
|Crime Severity Index
|Very Easy ●○○○○
|Immediate once you have the requirements
|Things you need
|A computer, access to the internet, valid ID with photo, proof of residence, proof of employment or proof of studies
You can get a free Toronto Library Card by simply presenting your ID and proof of residence at your preferred library branch. This applies to adults and children who live, work, study, or own a property in Toronto.
Non-Toronto residents or workers have to apply for a non-resident card.
Your Toronto Library Card can be used in all Toronto public libraries, including the research and reference libraries.
Ready to get your Toronto Library Card? Just follow the steps below!
1. Prepare the required documents
The standard requirements for the Toronto Library Card for both Toronto-based and non-Toronto-based applicants are:
- A valid ID with a photo
- Proof of residence, or additional proof of employment or proof of studies
Persons with disabilities need to complete the application form specific to them.
2. Head over to the nearest Toronto Public library
Once you have the documents or the money to pay for your card, it’s time to head to a Toronto public library branch!
You can check out Toronto Public Library’s website for the open branches and which one is nearest to you.
3. For non-residents of Toronto: Pay the applicable fee
Non-residents can opt for a 12-month card for $150 while visitors can choose either a three-month card for $50 or a 12-month card for $150.
4. Wait for the card
— Media from Toronto Public Library Foundation
Once your documents or payment have been received, all that’s left is to claim your library card! Individuals can get their cards within the day of application.
5. Enjoy the benefits
With a Toronto Library Card, you can enjoy the following perks.
- Borrow and reserve materials like books, music, and movies: You can place a hold on the items and get them delivered to the library nearest your area.
- Access to research databases, digital materials, and e-Learning resources: Patrons can access the databases and materials they need for their work or studies.
- Access to Toronto museums and the library’s Digital Innovation Hubs: Present your library card and get a free pass to select museums in Toronto.
And did you know that a Toronto Library Card also unlocks other exciting experiences throughout the city? With it, you gain access to some of Toronto’s leading museums and attractions for free, such as:
- Art Gallery of Toronto
- Royal Ontario Museum
- Black Creek Pioneer Village
- Ontario Science Centre
- Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada
- Toronto Zoo
What are you waiting for? Get that Toronto library card now!