Situated in the dizzying streets of Dundas West, the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) offers an escape from the busy metropolitan life that can be as rejuvenating as a visit to the spa. In here, you’ll find the calming magic of art and its power to heal even the weariest of souls.
If you’re planning a list of things to do at AGO, you’re in the right place to start. Here’s how you can plan a date or trip to AGO while you’re in Toronto.
Enjoy Unique Art Pieces
The AGO is brimming with kinds of art pieces from famous global names and Canadian artists alike. Everything from incredible art installations to groundbreaking photo exhibits can be found in this iconic gallery.
Travel back in time or move forward through monumental art movements in AGO’s countless exhibits. Here’s a summary of things you can do to enjoy the art pieces on display.
- Spend a day in Yayoi Kusama’s mirror installation entitled Let’s Survive Forever. The popular exhibit aims for the viewers to have a personal experience with the piece – true to Kusama’s work essence.
- Browse through the collections of some of the world’s most celebrated artists including Andy Warhol and Pablo Picasso. You can even pose like a model to make that perfectly Instagrammable shot.
- See the famous Thomson Collection, which stands as the most important collection that the gallery houses. Here you’ll find more than 2,000 pieces of work that collector Ken Thomson gave to AGO.
- Bring your kid to the Weston Family Learning Center to enjoy the fun-filled Mindful Makers program. It’s the perfect place for them to maximize their childhood imaginations and create special works.
- Visit the Michael Belmore exhibition, where nature meets art to produce one-of-a-kind creatures. See the pieces made out of materials that the artist found in his surroundings.
- If you have a heart for photography, you’ll fall in love with AGO’s 40,000 photography collection. They also hold a collection of drawings plus a library that holds more than 380,000 volumes.
- Grab a ride to the Hands-On Center where you can collaborate to create various projects. The materials are already there so you only have to bring yourself and your family to the venue.
Revel in Great Food
The AGO isn’t only iconic for housing some of Canada’s most prized treasures. It’s also a great spot to enjoy food after or during your tours inside the gallery.
With many cafes and restaurants to try, you’ll enjoy the wide range of options available for you. Here are some of the highlights of the dining experience at AGO.
- For an upscale, fine-dining experience AGO Bistro takes guests to the level of care they deserve. The place boasts many award-winning dining options for all guests.
- If you want to satisfy a quick pang of hunger, drop by Cafe AGO to enjoy light snacks in a casual environment. By the way, kids under 5 eat for free so keep that in mind.
- For coffee lovers out there, you’ll go head over heels with Galleria Italia Espresso Bar. The airy atmosphere gives it a relaxing feel to enjoy hand-crafted espressos.
The Art Gallery of Ontario is one of the most prominent galleries you can find in Toronto. Explore art, browse through history, and enjoy the gift of marvelous food that fills both the heart and stomach with joy.